In this program, Richard Trudgen and Djiniyini Gondarra are joined by Dr Kerry Mills to continue the conversation about how coronavirus can be floating in little droplets of mucus in the air. Djiniyini asks, “How do these viruses enter the body”? Dr Kerry Mills explains that these little droplets are floating in the air and if you breathe them in, they will go right down into the lungs. Once they’re in the lungs, the viruses make a home in the bottom of the lungs. From there, in the lining of the lungs, they create a pneumonia-type condition. A person can get very sick and won’t be able to breathe properly. This video explains why coronavirus is a real problem for older people and people who have chronic disease. We work through the names of all the conditions that may pose a heightened risk of bad health complications if you also get sick with the virus.
The traditional worldview of Yolŋu means they want in-depth, science-based information in order to understand any new topic. This is what Yolŋu call the “dhuḏi-dhäwu” – the deep true story. This full series of videos attempts to answer some of their questions from a Yolŋu worldview, using their linguistic construction of knowledge.
Watch the full series by clicking the links below:
- Video #1 COVID-19: Introduction to Coronavirus
- Video #2 COVID-19: Stopping the spread through self-isolation
- Video #3 COVID-19: What happens after 2 weeks?
- Video #4 COVID-19: No immunisation for Coronavirus
- Video #5 COVID-19: Where did it come from?
- Video #6 COVID-19: Waanga Animal Markets
- Video #7 COVID-19: From animals to people
- Video #8 COVID-19: Are there 2 diseases with 2 different names?
- Video #9 COVID-19: The meaning of the name COVID-19
- Video #10 COVID-19: What is the World Health Organisation?
- Video #11 COVID-19: Has the virus occurred before?
- Video #12 COVID-19: Why are Balanda so frightened of this virus?
- Video #13 COVID-19: What’s the history behind the manikay Ring-a-Ring-a-Rosie?
- Video #14 COVID-19: Old Balanda culture
- Video #15 COVID-19: The discovery of germs
- Video #16 COVID-19: Traditional Yolŋu Social Distancing Law
- Video #17 COVID-19: No Microscopes Before
- Video #18 COVID-19: Looking for the Right Medicine to Stop the Virus
- Video #19 COVID-19: How does it spread
- Video #20 COVID-19: Through the air, from person to person
- Video #21 COVID-19: Viruses floating in the air
- Video #22 COVID-19: Breathe it in
- Video #23 COVID-19: Breathe it in to lungs
- Video #24 COVID-19: Lots of men dying from the virus