In this program Djiniyini and Richard talk more about the Balanda (European) history, and what happened when Balanda left their villages/estates and started moving into big cities. In the transition Balanda changed many cultural things.
For example, on their homeland estates they had plenty of land for toileting and they had small lakes and streams to bathe in.
However when they moved into the city they built houses very close together like they were still living on their estates, even though other things changed. The program discusses how Balanda used to throw the contents of their bed pots out onto the street and that many Balanda now only bathed once a year.
This is a similar history as Yolŋu now experience. When they lived on their homeland estates, Yolŋu would walk off into the bush privately to go to the toilet. They would also swim in the rivers and billabongs across their estate on a daily basis.
However when they moved into the missions and now the central communities things like toilets and places to wash are often in short supply.
Again this history is important for Yolŋu to understand why mainstream Western society places high value on certain cultural activities around hygiene.
The traditional worldview of Yolŋu means they want in-depth, science-based information in order to understand any new topic. This is what Yolŋu call the “dhuḏi-dhäwu” – the deep true story. This full series of videos attempts to answer some of their questions from a Yolŋu worldview, using their linguistic construction of knowledge.
Watch the full series by clicking the links below:
- Video #1 COVID-19: Introduction to Coronavirus
- Video #2 COVID-19: Stopping the spread through self-isolation
- Video #3 COVID-19: What happens after 2 weeks?
- Video #4 COVID-19: No immunisation for Coronavirus
- Video #5 COVID-19: Where did it come from?
- Video #6 COVID-19: Waanga Animal Markets
- Video #7 COVID-19: From animals to people
- Video #8 COVID-19: Are there 2 diseases with 2 different names?
- Video #9 COVID-19: The meaning of the name COVID-19
- Video #10 COVID-19: What is the World Health Organisation?
- Video #11 COVID-19: Has the virus occurred before?
- Video #12 COVID-19: Why are Balanda so frightened of this virus?
- Video #13 COVID-19: What’s the history behind the manikay Ring-a-Ring-a-Rosie?
- Video #14 COVID-19: Old Balanda culture
- Video #15 COVID-19: The discovery of germs
- Video #16 COVID-19: Traditional Yolŋu Social Distancing Law
- Video #17 COVID-19: No Microscopes Before
- Video #18 COVID-19: Looking for the Right Medicine to Stop the Virus
- Video #19 COVID-19: How does it spread
- Video #20 COVID-19: Through the air, from person to person
- Video #21 COVID-19: Viruses floating in the air