1. Understanding Diabetes
In this podcast Gill Campbell (RN) and Shelley Houghton talk about diabetes in Yolngu Matha.
This is a set of 6 separate recordings which discuss what causes diabetes, how our bodies work, and how diabetics can best look after themselves. Other subjects covered are; the role of insulin and the pancreas, how too much sugar and fat in our bodies makes diabetes worse, and the effect on veins, blood pressure, heart, brain (stroke) eyes, kidneys, and feet. Some medications are also explained. This is a great resource in helping Yolngu understand the whole subject of diabetes and can also be useful for Western medical staff as an information tool for their Yolngu patients.
There are 6 Stories in this podcast. Please see time stamps below –
- Recording No1. Understanding Diabetes. – 0:01
- Recording No2. How insulin works. -11:03
- Recording No3. How our bodies use sweets/sugar and fat. – 21:56
- Recording No4 To much sugar and fat kills our blood vessels. – 33:08
- Recording No5 How to live in a healthy way, doctor medicines, food, traditional food and exercise. – 43:31
- Recording No6 How diabetic patients can look after themselves. What to eat and when to go for check ups at the clinic. – 54:45
Produced by Aboriginal Resource and Development Services (ARDS) in 2004.