In this video, Richard Trudgen and Djiniyini Gondarra discuss the highly contagious Delta variant of COVID-19. Yolngu people are seeing lots of trouble and conflict over the Covid-19 virus in New South Wales and Victoria. What is making these people sick? Is it the same Covid-19 virus?
This video talks about the new Delta strain, explaining how the original Covid-19 virus has reproduced in millions of people all around the world. This has now created a stronger, more dangerous Covid-19 variant called Delta. The video works through the meaning of the Delta strain, and its mutation. New South Wales and Victoria have tried to stop the Delta variant from spreading, but they haven’t been able to.
The federal and state governments of Australia are now saying that when most of their citizens have some protection from the vaccine, they will give up trying to stop the virus and “open up.”
The question is then asked: what will happen to the unvaccinated people?
The traditional worldview of Yolŋu means they want in-depth, science-based information in order to understand any new topic. This is what Yolŋu call the “dhuḏi-dhäwu” – the deep true story. This full series of videos attempts to answer some of their questions from a Yolŋu worldview, using their linguistic construction of knowledge.
Thank-you to © Helix Animation 2020 and © CanalDivulgacion for the animations provided. All rights reserved.
Watch the full series by clicking the links below:
- Video #1 COVID-19: Introduction to Coronavirus
- Video #5 COVID-19: Where did it come from?
- Video #8 COVID-19: Are there 2 diseases with 2 different names?
- Video #11 COVID-19: Has the virus occurred before?
- Video #15 COVID-19: The discovery of germs
- Video #18 COVID-19: Looking for the Right Medicine to Stop the Virus
- Video #19 COVID-19: How does it spread
- Video #23 COVID-19: Breathe it in to lungs