62. Yolngu Artists#2 Income for Yolngu artists
Dr Djiniyini Gondarra and Richard Trudgen have further discussions about modern trading.
Djiniyini talks about advocacy for the artist, asking questions such as why can’t Yolngu artists be paid large sums for their works when they first start as artists. They discuss cheap labour costs in China how they are creating problems for car manufacturers as well as for Aboriginal artists. Examples are given such as car factories in Australia closing down and the cost of a shirt made in China.
Again, there is discussion about the need for Yolngu artists to build their reputations and create a name in the industry and how this often relates to prices paid for works of art.
There are 4 stories in this podcast. Please see time stamps below-
- Car Factories go bankrupt & close – 00:00
- The cost of a shirt made in China – 9:39.810
- How to create more money for Yolngu Artists – 19:34.194
- The need for artists to start small and build their reputation – 30:08.480