Closing the Gap No 2 - Better health, education & employment
The subject material for the podcasts produced on this site are chosen by our Yolŋu co-producers. This is so the subjects discussed, including the “Hard English Words”, are topics that Yolŋu have trouble understanding. It was shocking (as it is with many of the subjects raised) when the subject of “Closing the Gap” came up. It was assumed that all Aboriginal people would understand what it means. But this has turned out not to be the case and explaining it has lead to an interesting and long discussion.
In this podcast Richard Trudgen and Nikunu Yunupingu go into more details around the Government program “Closing the Gap”. The English term “Closing the Gap” is a very confusing concept for Yolŋu people for a number of different reasons. Firstly, because it is talked about as a statistical gap which is not a concept that Yolŋu are familiar with using. And secondly, Yolŋu are confused because they never realised the Government or COAG (Council of Australian Governments) had any real concern for their welfare. When the principles of “Closing the Gap” become clear it raises many questions about the best way to improve Indigenous health, education and employment. This subject is creating much more conversation than we could ever have realized!
There are 5 Stories in this podcast. Please see time stamps below –
- Closing the gap – Government ashamed for the Aboriginal situation, Health – Schooling – Employment – 00:00
- Closing the gap Target No 1 – We need real answers to health issues – 14:10
- Closing the gap Target No 2 – Education – 29:07
- Education – What is real learning – 42:30
- Closing the gap Target No 3 – Employment CDP the starting point, but where is the end point – 57:48